Our two-month ‘Work the Land’ program is designed to take you through a practical working experience of ecological and sustainable living. Consider ‘Work the Land’ to be your “crash course” to Permaculture and Sustainability!
Get theoretical and practical permaculture classes, and ‘walk the talk’ with your work team. You will pick a track that you wish to excel in – agriculture, construction, ecological systems, vegan cuisine, etc – and work with specialized coordinators and their team to deal with real day-by-day permacultural challenges.
Onward Scholarships available!
Learn about permaculture and ecology through permaculture classes and hands-on work in our organic fields.
Medicinal Herbal Center
- Learn different herbalism methods for health treatments, prevention and hygiene
- Produce products from plants for aromatherapy, different cosmetics and other medicinal treatments
Farm kitchen – Sustainable cooking
Participants will learn how to prepare and cook plant-based meals and experience the beauty of a ‘farm to table’ lifestyle.
Learn the basic concepts of mud building:
- Designing, sculpting and building using traditional techniques (Cob, soil, straw, sand, plaster)
- Practical application of mud building skills around the farm
- Soil health and structure
- Plant and pest identification
- Small-scale bio-intensive farming
- Seasonal plantings and nursery/greenhouse tasks
- Permaculture principles and techniques
- Water and irrigation
- Seed saving
…and much more!
- Seed pollination
- Plant genetics
- Seed types
- Seed saving
- Social/economic effects of the seed industry
- Indoor seeding
- General plant nursery maintenance
- Understand the principles of ecological/’green’ construction
- Familiarity with construction methods and materials
- Renovating existing structures/building new ones based on the methods taught
Ecological technical systems
- Getting to know the farm’s different ecological systems – compost toilets, biogas composting, grey water system, solar panels, and rain water collection.
- Understanding biological processes within these systems
- Learning ways of designing and integrating ecological systems in the home and on farms
Arts & Crafts with Recycled Materials
Rethink, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Learn how to upcycle and experience a variety of techniques in ancient
handicrafts: knitting, weaving, sewing and much more
Deepen your connection between the earth and our consumption
As we grow food we aspire to cultivate the art of communal self-sufficiency and healthy living. The residential community of the farm is usually about 30 folks. Together with the ‘Work the Land’ and ‘Eco-Israel’ program, Hava & Adam is also home to Israeli National Service and Year of Service volunteers. In this light, community life on our farm is a great opportnity to interact with and foster meaningful relationships with local Israelis.